Winter chill and here come the first flurries.
Not snow(yet) but a flurry of commercial insurance agent/brokers seeking our help to recruit new producers.
Perhaps 2018 business planning is done?
Maybe a surge of hiring optimism with a tax cut coming?
Happens every year at this time.
While we’re eager and ready to help commercial insurance agent/brokers with producer recruiting, I encourage hiring managers to first determine if they can do it themselves.
Yes, you read that right: a recruiting firm suggests to potential clients that they may NOT need a recruiting firm!
Six Checkpoints to Hit For DIY Producer Recruiting
Here are 6 checkpoints that indicate that your commercial insurance agency/brokerage is strongly positioned for Do-It-Yourself new producer recruiting:
- You have in-house recruiters equipped with the right tools (i.e. LinkedIn Recruiter license and Applicant Tracking Software) plus the skills and the time to use them effectively and consistently.
- You hire enough producers to develop a steady rhythm and process (probably 5+ new producers per year).
- Your recruiters tell your company’s story and market your firm’s producer career opportunity in a compelling way.
- Your producer recruiting process is thorough and disciplined, yet also brisk and decisive, so you’re able to recruit top sales talent.
- You know how to pay new producers and bridge them to validation.
- You hire the best sales people in your market – not just the best people you come across (or the best applicants to a job ad you run on ZipRecruiter).
If you’re in great shape on these half dozen items, you probably don’t need us – or any third-party recruiter – to help you.
If you’re short of the mark on some or most of these, you may find it useful to develop a professional sales recruiter relationship and have them work an active new producer recruiting process on your behalf.
External recruiters focus on both the strategy and the mechanics of how to find people. They can increase your speed to hire, the breadth of quality candidates you see and make it easier for you to focus on your core business and your clients.
Wishing you all the best in your new DIY producer recruiting efforts in 2018.
And if Do-It-Yourself won’t do it for you, please let me know.