Fiscal year rebooting — the annual phenomenon – is fast approaching for gigantic corporation salesforces at Cintas, ADP and Paychex.
No matter if you had the best fiscal year ever OR a forgettable year, every salesperson gets the chance to start over.
To go back to zero.
What always strikes me is the harsh shortcoming of a sales gig with ADP, Paychex, Cintas, and most other big corporation sales force environments): the fiscal year “start over”…”race”…and “back to zero” grinder and perpetual quota chase.
How does a top sales person celebrate “starting over” and going “back to zero”?
Crap – really?! So, I was President’s Club and got to go to Hawaii with the other winners but now I’m just another schlub in the sales force.
Now these are fine companies. Great places to work. Fine sales training grounds.
But there has to be a better way, right?!
Indeed, there is…
As a point of comparison, if instead of spending your past 5 years as a sales person with one of these gigantic brand name companies, you had chosen a different path and invested your 5 years in B2B sales with one of our clients, you’d be starting your 6th year in the commercial insurance broker career with:
- No reset button to zero, no starting over, and no race or quota chasing (except for a personal goal to grow your clientele and directly increase your W-2 earnings);
- The knowledge that you will find most of your new clients through networking and referrals.
- The calming sense of accomplishment that you’d finished the heavy early lift to learn a true profession and build your own clientele (book of business);
- The confidence that you would retain 90%+ of your clients in the coming year so you could bank on most of your 6-figure W-2 compensation being baked in for the coming year — before it even
- starts — because of big-time residual commissions; and
- In many of our clients, the opportunity to earn equity – either in your book of business or the firm itself – and perhaps a key leadership role too.
Again, ADP, Paychex, Cintas are all fine companies.
Becoming a commercial insurance broker is also not for everybody.
Nor is it the only lifetime career choice for top B2B sales professionals.
It’s just one helluva career alternative if you’re sick and tired of the fiscal year do-over, quota-chasing, “rat on the wheel” sales job that only makes the big corporation rich in the long run!
“Time is your most valuable asset. Whatever you do in the next 2-3 years will affect the next 5-10. Sometimes there’s a bigger risk in staying in the same role rather than changing.” (Lou Adler)