You’re a new commercial insurance broker (producer).
Welcome to a great career – BUT a hard job at the beginning.
Here’s a prescription – 10 things TO DO — that will help you to start strong.
(HINT: If you do the first 2, your success will become predictable.)
- Block 10 hours per week to make cold calls and do it. You have no clients. You have the time. So, don’t make excuses, make calls!
- Set up 2-4 discovery appointments per week with qualified prospects. Warm calls and networking if you can; cold calls if you must.
- Learn the ropes of the insurance business. Study insurance 5-10 hours per week outside of your standard work hours.
- Ask questions. Show curiosity to learn the technical side of the business. Ask for technical help when you need it. Take good notes and don’t ask the same question 8X.
- Update your LinkedIn profile right away. Start using LI as your power tool for networking and prospecting.
- Tell everyone you know that you’re in the insurance business. This is not a time to hold back. Go all-in to leverage your personal and business network for prospects.
- Gin up early sales. Even if it’s personal lines from your friends and family).
- Learn how to move a prospect forward from a first appointment. Experienced producers can help you a lot here.
- Show up and put in the work. Don’t treat this career like a casual 9-5 office job.
- Take coaching advice and direction. Make improvements every day.
Best of luck and let me know if we can help.